Ironically, the majority of the plastic waste directly goes into landfills and incineration. Research shows that only 12 of plastic waste is recycled or reused. Plastic waste going to landfills is causing massive pollution and putting the human and environment in danger.
Plastic products are everywhere, from cold drinks bottles, grocery bags, ATM cards, plastic containers to coffee mugs. Most of the plastic products are manufactured from petrochemicals that are non-renewable sources. So, if the plastic is not managed rightly, there will be a wastage of resources. It is important to reuse and recycle plastic waste to minimize and prevent plastic waste.
What is plastic recycling?
Plastic recycling is a significant procedure to make plastic waste a raw material to manufacture new plastic products. You should know that the world produces and make use of one trillion pounds of plastic material. The ultimate goal of plastic recycling is to ensure the plastic waste does not go the landfills. Instead, plastic reprocessor recycling must be considered to make new products.
Commonly recycled plastics
Not all plastic types are recycled. But most of the plastic we use in our daily life is recyclable. Below are some of the commonly used plastics in our daily lives.
- PVC– Stands for polyvinyl chloride; PVC is a thermoplastic and commonly used to produce wires, bottles, pipes, and cling films.
- HDPE– Stands for high-density polyethylene, HDPE is a thermoplastic. It is quite softer and flexible than the PVC. Pipes and gallons are manufactured from HDPE plastic.
- LDPE– It is the opposite material from HDPE. LDPE is used to manufacture plastic bags. The companies also do LDPE Film Recycling because it is a highly recyclable material that easily can turn into a new film.
- Mixed rigid plastic– It is composed of discarded plastic by residents’ into the waste stream. Usually, it is not considered for recycling, but some companies started sorting, washing, and grinding this mixed rigid plastic for recycling.
- PS– It is a polymer used to manufacture plastic includes yogurt containers and plastic cutlery.
- PP– It is also a polymer used to make plastic boxes, plastic jars, and plastic furniture. Not every plastic recycling company recycles PP.
- PET– It refers to polyethylene terephthalate, a popular thermoplastic. It is a thin material used to produce low-pressure products. Soft drink bottles and clothing fibers are made from PET.
Step by step plastic recycling procedure
Plastic recycling is not a DIY activity. It involves attention to detail and rigorous procedure. The entire process is carried out in the presence of experts.. Irrespective of plastic waste type and plastic recycling companies, below are some significant steps to recycle plastic waste.
Collection of plastic waste
Collecting plastic waste is the first step. Even though this process seems easier, but it is not entirely. Volunteers and employees go around collecting plastic waste from offices, homes, and public places. They also reach certain areas where people usually dispose of their plastic waste. Plus, they also spread awareness to gather their plastic waste at specific places and handover to them for recycling.
In fact, some companies put recycling bins in public places and industrial zones to ease the collection process. These bins are separated from the general Dustin bins. Then the recycled bins are collected and transferred to a plastic recycling company for recycling.
Sorting of plastic into different categories
Once the plastic waste is gathered at the facility, it is separated according to its type. Recycling machines are used to sort out the plastic waste based on the color and resin of the plastic. It is an essential step because it allows the facility to know which material is involved and how it is recycled.
Washing to remove impurities
Washing is the next step to remove impurities from the plastic waste. These impurities include paper labels, dirt, particles, and various chemicals. Remember, if the company fails to remove impurities, it may damage the new product.
It is impossible to make new products from plastic in an already developed state. Therefore, there is a need to shred and re-size the plastic material. Then the plastic material is put into the machine reduce into fragments.
The recycling procedure is comprehensive. Heavy machinery is used to recycle the tons o plastic waste automatically, with minimum human intervention. Hence, whether it is plastic film recycling or PP recycling, search for a plastic recycling company that can recycle plastic waste and significantly reduce plastic waste.